Lesson Time 30 minutes/week
Practice Time 10-15 minutes/day (in 2 or 3 five minute sessions)
Books and Materials
- Tales of a Musical Journey (music and backing tracks on CD or download) for 4 and young 5
- Piano Safari Level 1 Curriculum Pack with CD, Repertoire Book and CD for mature 5 and 1st grade
- Assignment notebook (provided)
- An iPad (or CD player or computer with iTunes) should be available for students to listen to assigned pieces and play along.
- Basic arm motions (drop, roll arm forward, lift), use of fingers, good posture, how to make beautiful sound.
- Rhythm skills are developed through listening, clapping, and marching.
- Rote pieces help students become comfortable playing the piano and moving around the keyboard without having to read music.
- Rudimentary reading pieces are introduced and explored. Students learn and record several short pieces.
- Memorization based on analysis is introduced.
- Listening pieces are assigned for cultural as well as musical context.