Lesson Time 30 minutes/week
Practice Time 10-15 minutes/day
Books and Materials
- Tales of a Musical Journey (music and backing tracks on CD or download)
- Piano Safari Level 1 Curriculum Pack with CD, Repertoire Book and Rhythm Cards and CD
- Assignment notebook (provided)
- An iPad (or CD player or computer with iTunes) should be available for students to listen to assigned pieces and play along.
- Familiarity with keyboard (black note groups, white notes names, music alphabet).
- Rhythm skills are developed through listening, clapping and playing along with recorded or live music and metronome games.
- Rote pieces help students become comfortable playing the piano and moving around the keyboard. Students learn musician position (i.e., good posture), what makes good “piano hands”, use their arms, how to create beautiful sound.
- Begin to develop note reading skills.
- Students learn and record several short pieces.
- Students play a set of 3-5 pieces for a recital or recording.