Lesson Time 45 – 60 minutes/week
Practice Time @ 30 – 45 minutes/day
Books and Materials
- RCM Levels 3-5 (Technique, Aural Skills and Sight Reading, Etudes and Repertoire),
- Norton Microjazz Books 1-3,
- Other pieces assigned,
- A practice assignment book is provided for weekly assignments and should be brought to lessons.
- An iPad (or CD player or computer) for listening and research.
- White key scales (2,3 and 4 octaves), four note tonics and inversions, dominant 7th chords and inversions, arpeggios.
- Increasingly effective use of body, arms and hands in passage work and chords for wider range of sound. Attention to music analysis, phrasing, memorization strategies.
- Increasing effectiveness of practice habits.
- Understanding of different styles of music literature and harmonic structures.
- Performance in group lessons, local recital opportunities, annual program for parents, formal assessments (if desired). Duet performances.